Decorative Laminates are great options for designing your home or office to create a welcoming aura. Their trendy designs will give a contemporary outlook to your spaces and make them look premium.
What are decorative laminates?
Decorative laminates are thin sheet-like surface materials used on top of different surfaces to enhance the attractiveness of walls and furniture. Apart from being aesthetic, designer laminate sheets are durable and sturdy. They are also quite low maintenance and cost-effective.
How are decorative laminates made?
Decorative laminate sheets consist of three layers,
- The bottom layer of brown paper that’s coated with phenolic resin.
- The middle or second layer is designed in different textures, patterns, and colors.
- The third or topmost layer has a thin protective clear sheet. The second and third layers have a coating of melamine resin.
Are decorative laminates costly?
Designer laminate sheets usually used to cover furniture cost around 600 bucks per sheet. The price of these sheets can vary according to the size of the surface, type, pattern, texture, availability of color, and quality. These are an extremely pocket-friendly option compared to other natural surfaces like plywood, stone, and marble.
Advantages of using decorative laminates
Due to the boom of designer laminates, a lot of laminate manufacturers in India are now producing some of the leading styles and designs in the country. People are shifting to this cost-effective alternative because of several advantages. They are,
- Low-maintenance and easy to clean.
- Quick and easy to install. Unlike traditional surfaces, you can even install them yourself.
- It is very economical when compared to its aesthetic appeal. The looks will not disappoint you, and you will be surprised at its low price.
- Decorative laminates are very pleasing to the eye.You also get an expansive choice of colors, patterns, designs, and textures.
- They are durable and long-lasting.
- Some designer laminate sheets come with an antibacterial coating to prevent the growth of bacteria and viruses on the surface. Hence, they are very hygienic as well.
- You do not need the extra cost of polishing paint as they come with sheets that already have a designer layer.
- They are the best choice for high-traffic areas and heavy use environments.
- You can use them over any existing floor. Only try to avoid any flooring that has drains under them.
- Designer laminate sheets are resistant to water, impact, shock, pressure, and other harsh conditions. This is one of the reasons for their durability.
- Most laminate sheets can be cleaned by vacuuming once every week. You can also clean with a soft cotton cloth to wipe everything clean.
- They are also water and scratch-resistant.
- It has minimum wastage due to its abundant availability.
Disadvantages of using decorative laminates
Along with its overflowing advantages, it also has a few disadvantages,
- Although designer laminate sheets can mimic the look of high-end textures, they can never give you that luxurious touch. Surfaces like marble and stone feel a lot more premium than laminates.
- These sheets can sometimes be toxic as they are known to release formaldehyde which is the volatile organic compound.
- The top layer is the protective layer of the sheet. Once it is weathered, you have to change the entire thing.
- These are rarely biodegradable and hence are very difficult to be recycled.
- It can clip very easily due to its delicate properties.
- Laminate floorings are rarely slip-resistant. They can be slightly risky to walk on.
Different kinds of decorative laminates
Decorative laminate sheets come in a lot of varieties, colors, patterns, and textures. They are,
- Matte Finish Laminates – These easy-to-clean laminates come in a lot of colors and give a matte finish.
- Gloss Finish Laminates – High gloss laminates are a little more difficult to clean than the other ones as they can gather more dust on their surface.
- Textured Laminates – These premium-looking laminates can mimic the look of different textures like wood, stones, and leather.
- Metallic Laminates – These are also called high gloss laminates due to their ultra shine effects. They have limited color options like gold, silver, and copper.
- PVC Laminates – These scratch-resistant laminates are best for the lower part of a modular kitchen. They are also quite easy to clean.
- Acrylic Finish Laminates – Acrylic laminates do not come in matte finishes. Hence, they are the most suitable for the upper cabinets of a modular kitchen. The glossy material of these decorative laminates can accumulate a lot of dust, oil, and grease from the kitchen.
- Exterior Laminates – These laminates are specially designed to withstand the rough weather outside. They are used in balcony railings and patio cabinets.
- High-Pressure Laminates – These laminates are the toughest laminates available in the market. They are not brittle and can withstand a great amount of weight.
- Countertop Laminates – These laminates are used to design kitchen countertops. They can be designed to look like marble or granite.
- Antibacterial Laminates – These laminates prevent the growth of bacteria and viruses up to 99%. They can be very useful in hospitals and healthcare centers.
Considered to be the best laminate brand in India, like Royale Touche, provide constant guidance to customers who want to change their interiors with decorative laminate designs. They will give a modern and contemporary look to the interiors of your personal and office spaces.