Increasing organic traffic is not easy in a scenario where paid marketing is widely used. Organic traffic can only be increased if you focus on high-volume, organic keywords. Not only increasing, you should even know which ones get the most traffic. Determining which keywords are driving traffic is what you should know to make your SEO pay off.
Keep in mind, some random keywords may provide you the rankings, but it doesn’t mean that you’re going well with SEO. Getting better rankings on Google is a real struggle. If you are not able to get it, then the possibility is that you are using techniques which are outdated for keyword research. Keyword research is among one of the things that you must master. It is the way to generate high traffic on website. If you are into digital marketing, you must be knowing that most of the users never browse past the first page of Google search results. Now, you can imagine how important it is to do proper keyword research to rank among the top 10 search results.
If you are wondering what is Keyword research, here we explain. It is the process of finding and analyzing the actual search terms, which people enter into search engines. Keyword research is the foundation on which every search marketing campaign runs. Targeting relevant keywords, structuring the campaigns and relevant ad groups, and eliminating wasteful negative keywords are among the steps that advertisers follow to build a strong marketing campaigns.
Optimize your website for organic keywords
Now that you know what keyword research is, let’s move ahead with optimization. On-page optimization is holds a strong position to drive traffic through organic search. In this, site organization is also important as one cannot just dump all the keywords onto one page and hope it will work.
For example, if you run a cake shop, you may want to create a single resource which targets a set of keywords related to cakes. These different keyword variations may include how to bake a cake, cake baking tips, or ideas for cake designs. Also, with this if you have a baking classes, you should create a separate landing page optimized for “baking classes” keywords. Also, keep in mind one thing, quality is important for search engines and users. They both favor content which unique and exceptionally helpful.
Below mentioned are some of the areas where your keywords need to appear to help you in ranking organically.
- In the URL
- In title and H1 tags
- First sentence or at least the first paragraph
- Image file names and alt text
- The meta description
- In links to related content
How to upgrade your keyword research strategy?
Now that we have understood the importance of keyword research, let’s see where to start? Give a productive start by following these tips.
- Brainstorm broad topics related to your business: Start thinking of the different topics on which pertain to your business. While thinking start with broad category, and don’t worry about getting too specific. For example, if you own a bakery, you may have to break down your topics by the types of baked goods that you sell. Think about creating topics on croissants, cupcakes, cakes, quiches, brownies, cookies and many more. Note the main topics which you’ve thought.
- Don’t force keywords: Some businesses, in their SEO strategies, define an arbitrary keyword density goal, which usually leads to redundant and superfluous phrasing. This decreases the quality of the content. Always keep in mind that shoving keywords into the articles doesn’t improve your SEO. The simple technique is to enter the keywords naturally in your content. But, if doing so distracts your reader just leave it. In few cases where you cannot include the keyword in your content, you should go back to your research and select new ones.
- Find what users want: Content Strategy is the thing from where the keyword research process begins. You should first figure out what type of topics people are searching for, before you start researching about the keywords. And, Quora is one of the best platforms to do so. You can browse the category on Quora and figure out what kind of questions people are asking. After this, you can create a keyword rich topic for your blog post.
- Gather keyword ideas and group similar keywords: Anything that a person search for, to want to buy product or services is a potential keyword. Look at emails from customers or customer questions and have analytics data to find keywords. Moreover, use the competing sites for finding the keywords. This way you will get the list of keywords and the next thing which you need to do to start grouping related keywords together. Phrases like ‘Cake shop in Japan’ and ‘Japan cake shop’ are same.
- Use keyword searching tools: Alright, the fun begins from here. First, you really need to put yourself in the shoes of your customer. Understand what they would likely to search. Begin simply with brainstorming. Let’s get back to our cake shop example. If you are making cakes for special occasions, some keywords like “birthday cakes,” “affordable wedding cakes,” and “wedding cakes”. But, for all this you need to use keyword tools to surface all the relevant keywords. Keyword searching tools are easy to use to get a list of related keywords. They are even associated search volume and other data. All you need to do is to type the specific keywords to see what kind of volume they are getting.
Some keyword searching tools:
- WordStream’s Free Keyword Tool
- Google Search Console
- Ahrefs Keywords Explorer
- Moz’s Keyword Explorer
- Google Keyword Planner
- Google’s Keyword Planner
For more information, refer another blog.
Keyword research might seem like a daunting task. But, with an organized method and the right tools, you are able to generate organic traffic for the website. Your search engine optimization efforts are only ever going to be as effective as your process.
What efforts have you put in to generate organic traffic?