We all know how much hard work and efforts it takes to set up a good website, finding a domain and searching keywords. After this, we write on those keywords, double check for errors and publish the article. Right? But, did it work? Did that content performed well in search results or grabbed the attention of your targeted audience? You may be wondering why it didn’t. Content writing is just one part, we also need to check articles for readability scores. You read that right. If you want your content to perform well in search engine, it must be relevant to read and easy to understand. We need articles to have a good readability score before publishing them so as to rank as high as possible. Always be aware that effective content is accessible content and readability ensures that written words are impacting audience in the right ways.
What is Readability?
Before going further, let’s understand what is readability of a write-up first? Readability is the ability to read a text. Good readability of a text in SEO writing is important as a text will lose its value if it is inaccessible to its intended audience. Honestly, not only in SEO, but in every profession readability affects the setting where people read words. Yes, it could be a daunting task to understand if your content is easy to understand. That is why there are readability formulas and tests, known to be useful tools.
Some of the readability scores include:
- Coleman Liau Index
- Automated Readability Index (ARI)
- SMOG Index
- Gunning Fog
Importance and Benefits of Readability:
Readability matters everywhere. In marketing, Even a minimal website design Adelaide can help in improving the readability. it is most prominently important for SEO, usability, and conversions. If you want to generate an effective content, understanding the readability expectations of your audience is needed. Not only this, you need to understand the intent of your readers, which means why are they reading the content. Below mentioned are some of the benefits of good readability score:
1. Better rankings: Good readability is directly connected with the better rankings. If any visitor moves from the site quickly or spends very less time on the website, it depicts the negative score. Google pays attention to how fast people give up on your site. And, if a visitor is leaving, there may be many reasons such as boring content, bad design, a buggy backend, and poor readability.
2. More conversion ratio: Conversion should be in mind, while creating the content. And, never forget micro-conversions also matter like clicking a link or watching a video. One of the most effective ways to boost conversions is to create readable content.
3. Traffic on the website: How people come on your website? The way is by searching what they want. And it is directly connected with the content. When they search for the content, they use words that they know. Make sure to write the simple content that is free from complicated phrases or jargon, so that they appear in search results.
Readability Score and Recommendations to Improve
The score for readability is given on how well-informed the content is written on your website. If you are thinking about the intent of checking readability score, it is done to find pages that need simplification. Right from the terminology, word length, sentence length, language, syllables, and grammar, everything contributes to the readability level of a website.
Recommendations to improve readability:
1. Write in a language that your audience understands. More general audiences will say “think about” than “contemplate.” So, you have to look at the words that you are using in the content.
2. Paragraphs are old technique. Nobody has time to read each line. So, break up large sentences in content. Make use of numbered lists, subheadings, and bullet points.
3. Sentence length is the important aspect. Keep your sentences short and think about using periods instead of commas.
You can determine the readability scores of our content. Below are some of the points that you need to keep in mind to get the good score.
- Being recognizable at a distance
- Reflex blink technique
- Reading speed
- Eye movements
- Having good perception in peripheral vision
- Fatigue while reading
- Having good visibility
- Speed of perception
Tools to improve readability
A solid content strategy is formed when readability of the website is good. Here are some of the tools to improve the readability of website.
1. Hemingway Editor: It is an online editor, which helps you to write clearly and concisely. Installing this would help you to write short and sweet, and to the point. This is a tool that highlights complex sentences and phrases. However, it may not be always that you are wrong but it will suggest you to avoid them, so that your writing becomes clearer. Hemingway Editor will help you to give a dynamic readability grade and will display the information of estimated reading time.
2. Yoast SEO: In Yoast SEO, it is very easy to use the readability analysis. It checks the transition words, sentence beginnings, subheading distribution, length of sentence, passive voice and Paragraph length. Because everyone has their own writing and editing process, Yoast SEO helps to get a feel for the text level you are aiming for. Practice makes perfect!
3. WebFX Readability Tool: This is a readability tool to purely rely on. The complete focus that this tool gives is on improving the readability score of your content. What you have to do is to enter your URL or paste your content into this tool. The results will show:
- SMOG index
- Flesch-Kincaid grade level
- Readability index score
- Gunning Fog Score
- Flesch reading ease
- Coleman-Liau Index score
Apart from that you can check:
- Average syllabus per word
- % of Complex words
- Number of sentences
- Word Count
- Average words per sentence
- Complex word Count
These are some of the tools that will help you in improving your readability scores. After reading this article, it is sure that you will be able to understand what to do to improvise the rankings of your website.
So, what is your technique to generate leads on website?