You’ll want to measure your garage door bottom seal to make sure that you get the right replacement. This is a critical part of your garage door, and can be a bit tricky to install if you don’t have the proper measurements.
In this guide, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about how to measure garage door bottom seal for the perfect fit. Let’s get started!
The right size
Before measuring, you’ll want to make sure that you’re getting the right size replacement garage door bottom seal. Look up what size your garage door is before parting with any money or buying anything. If unsure, look at the manufacturer name or model number on your old seal (if it’s still in place).
- Measure your garage door’s opening first. To do this, take a measurement from the left side to the right side of your garage. Make a note of this measurement and then take another measurement from top to bottom of the opening and make a note of this number as well.
- Measure your existing bottom seal next. Simply lay it out on the floor and measure it from left to right and then top to bottom.
- Determine if your bottom seal is worn or if it just needs adjustment. Take a look at the bottom seal and see if any parts are worn or cracking. If there is an issue with wear, you will need to replace it instead of simply making adjustments.
- Determine if you need a new seal by comparing the measurements you took in step 1 to those in step 2. If you have determined that your old bottom seal is not worn, you can adjust it.
- Locate the screws that are holding your old bottom seal in place and remove them, then remove the old seal from your garage door opening.
The standard size for garage doors is 9 inches by 18 feet, but there are other sizes available too. It’s best to call ahead and double-check before going out to measure your garage door — that way you can pick up the right size at once and not waste time or gas driving back and forth between home and the store.
How to do it?
Before you can measure your garage door bottom seal you need to know the height of your garage door. Once you have measured the height of your garage door, then you are ready to measure your bottom garage door seal.
- Measure the width of your garage door from left to right.
- Measure the height of your garage door from top to bottom.
- Identify the type of weatherstripping on your door.
If there is a small gap between the ground and your garage door, we recommend a 3/4″ double T rubber seal. It will keep leaves, dirt and other debris out of your garage and also provide added protection against rodents and critters looking for shelter in your garage. The 3/4″ has a 1-1/2″ leg that goes into the track of the door and a 1/4″ fin that extends down toward the ground sealing out any moisture or debris that could get blown by strong winds underneath the bottom panel of your garage door.
If there is not a gap at all between the ground and your garage door then we recommend using a vinyl bulb seal with an aluminum retainer.