After 40, your metabolism becomes sluggish. This leads to piling up of pounds. That doesn’t mean you must say goodbye to a slim waist. It is possible to flaunt a slim waistline, irrespective of age, through proper diet and appropriate exercise.
Some people also combine diet and exercise with the intake of slimming pills. A few reputable names containing appropriate fat-burning ingredients and those that increase metabolism are found to work. Please consult a doctor before starting any kind of supplement.
- Choose foods intelligently. For example, swap chips and cookies for nuts and seeds. Go low fat on milk and yoghurt. Prefer vegetable juices to soft drinks, which are laden with empty calories and sugar.
- Eat 4-5 small meals throughout the day, instead of stuffing yourselves with 3 heavy meals. This regulates your metabolism.
- Eat more protein. This helps to burn more fat around the abdomen.
- Do cardio workouts that help to shed fat from the whole body. This shapes you up and contributes in giving you a trimmed waistline.
- Aerobics are a good choice too. Cycling, swimming, jogging, brisk walking, and indulging in some active sport at least 60 minutes daily works. The trick is to keep your body moving. The more you slouch on the couch, the more chances of developing a stomach paunch.
- Do full-body strength training workouts. This adds muscle mass. Experts suggest lifting weights for 20 minutes 2-3 times a week. You can also do exercises that use your own body weight. They tone up muscles and slim you.
- The Boat Pose in yoga is a great workout for ab muscles.
Moderation is the key at 40+. This is the age to discover the brighter side of life that you might have missed in the early busy years. Time to slow down, but do not let your metabolism slow down. That’s where the key lies to avoid gaining useless fat.