What to Know
The syntax is: MONTH(serial_number). The serial_number is the date from which you need to extract the month.
Choose the cell that may show the serial quantity, then go to the Formulation bar, enter =month, and double-click MONTH.
Choose the date to extract the serial quantity for the month, enter a closing parenthesis, then press Enter.
This text explains the right way to use the MONTH perform in Excel to get a month quantity from a date and switch it into the month’s identify. Directions on this article apply to Excel for Microsoft 365, Excel 2019, Excel 2016, and Excel 2013.
The Syntax of the MONTH Operate
The MONTH perform in Excel returns a quantity between 1 and 12. This quantity corresponds to the month for the date within the chosen cell or vary.
The date have to be correctly entered with the DATE perform in Excel.
The syntax of the MONTH perform is: MONTH(serial_number)
The serial_number is the date from which you need to extract the month and have to be a sound Excel date.
How you can Use Excel to Get a Month From a Date
When your Excel worksheet comprises a column of dates which can be in a date format that Excel acknowledges, use the MONTH perform to extract the serial quantity for the month and place the serial quantity in a separate column.
Choose the cell that may show the serial quantity for the month.
Go to the Formulation bar and enter =month. As you sort, Excel suggests a perform.
Dataset to extract the serial month quantity from a column of dates
Choose the cell containing the date from which you need to extract the serial quantity for the month. For instance, choose the primary cell in a column of dates.
- Enter a closing parenthesis, then press Enter.
- Getting into the MONTH perform in Excel
- The consequence seems within the chosen cell.
To use the system to the opposite dates within the column, choose the cell that comprises the MONTH perform, then drag the Fill Deal with to the underside of the column.
- Copying the MONTH perform to a column of cells in Excel
- The serial numbers for the dates show within the highlighted cells.
The outcomes of filling the MONTH perform in Excel
The Excel MONTH perform extracts the month from a listing of dates. The month shows as a serial quantity between 1 and 12. If you wish to convert this quantity to textual content, create a named vary.
How you can Convert a Month Quantity to Textual content
There’s a two-step course of to transform the serial quantity for a month to the textual content identify. First, create a named vary, then use the named vary to transform the serial quantity to textual content.
Create a Named Vary
Step one to transform a serial quantity to a month’s identify is to create a variety. This vary comprises the quantity and the corresponding month.
The information for the named vary might be on the identical worksheet or on one other worksheet within the workbook.
- Choose a cell, enter a 1, then press Enter to go to the cell under.
- Enter a 2.
- Choose each cells.
Including serial month numbers to an Excel worksheet to create a named vary
- Drag the fill deal with till the quantity 12 shows subsequent to the Fill deal with.
- Filling cells with the serial month numbers in an Excel worksheet
- Choose the cell to the proper of the number one and enter January. Or, enter the format you need for the month. For instance, use Jan for January.
- Drag the fill deal with down till the phrase December shows subsequent to the Fill Deal with.
- Creating the month entries for a named vary in Excel
- Choose the serial quantity and month identify cells.
- Go to the Identify Field and enter a reputation for the vary.
- Press Enter to create the named vary.
- Choosing cells for a named vary in Excel
Convert the Quantity to Textual content
- The following step is to pick out the column the place you need to insert the textual content model of the month.
- Choose the cell subsequent to the primary serial quantity within the column.
- Enter =vlookup. As you sort, Excel suggests potential features. Double-click VLOOKUP.
- Getting into the VLOOKUP perform in Excel to transform serial numbers to month names
- Choose the primary serial quantity within the column, then enter a comma.
- Choosing the cell for the VLOOKUP system
Enter the named vary, then enter a comma.
- Enter the variety of the column within the named vary that you just need to show, enter a closing parenthesis, then press Enter.
- Finishing the VLOOKUP system to transform a serial quantity to textual content in Excel
- Choose the month and drag the Fill Deal with to the underside of the column.
- Filling the outcomes of the VLOOKUP system to a column
- The month names seem within the column.