Essential oils or should not be used without a doctor’s prescription for the following people: Elderly adults, children under the age of 12, pregnant or breastfeeding women. Also, keep in mind the presence of pets in the environment as some essential oils are toxic to animals. If you take any medications or have any health issues, such as high blood pressure, low immunity, or epilepsy, see your doctor before taking essential oils.
If you’d like more information on an individual treatment plan, speak with a qualified aromatherapist. While there are many benefits that come with using essential oils, there are important safety precautions that one should follow. Here are the safety precautions:
Make use of carrier oil
Always use a therapeutic-grade carrier oil when mixing essential oils. If you have a nut allergy, stay away from oils derived from tree nuts.
Sensitivity to the skin
Essential oils can irritate the skin if used incorrectly. Essential oils should not be used near sensitive regions like the eyes, ears, or mouth. They should not be used on skin that is damaged, inflammatory, or irritated.
Before using any carrier or essential oil, conduct a patch test to check for potential skin allergies. Apply a tiny amount of the diluted oil to your inner wrist or below your ear to perform a patch test. Wait 24 hours to check if there is any irritation.
Another thing to keep in mind is to avoid using photosensitive essential oil before stepping out in the sun, as it can be risky. So, avoid using photosensitive oil on your skin if you are going out in the sun in the next 12 hours.
Advantages of essential oils
Essential oils have a long list of established health benefits, though further research is needed. They’re a cost-effective, adaptable, and practical method to improve your health and quality of life.
They can be used to alleviate pain and cramps, as well as to improve respiratory health and treat skin diseases. They also help to reduce congestion, encourage good sleep habits, and improve your mood. However, the most important thing is to use good quality oil, such as the ones from Young Living.
The following are some of the advantages of several commonly used essential oils:
- The sedative characteristics of lavender oil make it a good choice for relaxing both emotional and physical issues such as minor skin injuries, cramps, and nasal congestion. It can also help with headaches, anxiety, and insomnia.
- Tea tree is a plant that grows in the tea tree family Tea tree oil’s health advantages greatly exceed its pungent therapeutic aroma. This oil is a skincare mainstay that can assist with acne, nail fungus, and warts.
- Peppermint oil is a powerful oil that can help with respiratory issues and sinus congestion. It also contains characteristics that aid digestion. Peppermint’s invigorating fragrance may help to alleviate nausea and boost cognitive function.
- Anxiety and tension may be reduced by using orange oil. This essential oil may help to calm your nerves and improve proper lymphatic drainage. However, this is a citrus essential oil that, when exposed to sunlight, can cause skin burns.
- Immunity, circulation, and lymphatic flow are all boosted with this oil. It can be used to treat skin conditions like bug bites, boils, and pimples because of its antibacterial and antiviral properties. Lemon oil, like orange oil, can promote light sensitivity in the skin
These are some of the precautions you must always keep in mind before using any essential oil, and if you have any condition then it is better to consult a doctor first and use the essential oil as per their directions. Young Living essential oils come in various ranges for you to choose from, so have your pick depending on your preference.